BSOD DPC WATCHDOG since windows 8.1 upgrade
My PC was running like a top on Windows 8 64, then I installed 8.1 just to stop all the 'pestering' to upgrade. Now it may run for minutes, and occasionally a couple days before it BSODs again.
I have an ASUS p9x79WS with I7-3930k, 32GB, 2 NVIDIA GT610s (I don't game, and these are passive) and SSDs.
I built it with windows 8 pro 64 and it ran without issue for a year or so until I upgraded to 8.1.
The BSOD also causes issues on reboot, which I reported to ASUS, who decided to RMA my mobo. The 'new' mobo does the same thing. Bios and all drivers (I think) are most current.
I loaded the minidump to
Any clues what it doesn't like?
Keys to the Problem BSOD DPC WATCHDOG since windows 8.1 upgrade
There are two issues. Your video driver & Symantec.
There is a known issue with that release of the driver. I would revert to an older one (6 months older) until they release a newer driver that isn't buggy.
Symantec is probably related to the BSOD on reboot. I would remove it and use the built in defender at least to test.
If you want to be certain before you do you can run driver verifier.
Symantec is a frequent cause of BSOD's.
I would remove and replace it with Microsoft Security Essentials AT LEAST TO TEST
For Norton 360 use this http://symantec.pcperformancetools.com/norton-360-how-to-uninstall.html
Please run this test to find which driver is causing the problem.
If you are overclocking (pushing the components beyond their design) you should revert to default at least until the crashing is solved.
If you don't know what it is you
probably are not overclocking.
Driver verifier (for complete directions see our wiki here)
Co-Authored by JMH3143
- Access the files on your computer via MY COMPUTER
- Under the C: drive, access the WINDOWS folder
- Select the SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION folder, followed by the DOWNLOAD folder.
- Delete any files within this download folder.
- If you are unable to delete these files, open the command prompt (CMD) as the administrator, and type "net stop wuauserv" into the CMD prompt window. Press ENTER. This should allow you to delete the files from step 4.
- Once the files are deleted, open and run the CMD as the administrator and type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow". Press ENTER.
Recommended Method to Repair the Problem: BSOD DPC WATCHDOG since windows 8.1 upgrade:
How to Fix BSOD DPC WATCHDOG since windows 8.1 upgrade with SmartPCFixer?
1. You can Download SmartPCFixer here. Install it on your computer. When you open it, it will perform a scan.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems which need to be repaired.
3. The Fixing part is done, the speed of your computer will be much higher than before and the errors have been removed.
Related: How to Download Toshiba Portege R500 HDD/SSD Alert Utility v.22.214.171.124 driver,Way to Update & Download Toshiba Satellite A355-S69403 Motorola Modem Region Select Utility v.126.96.36.199 driver,Where to Download Toshiba Satellite L305-S5926 HW Setup Utility v.2.00.11 driver,[Solved] Download Toshiba Satellite L675-S7115 Laptop Checkup v.188.8.131.52 driver,Method to Download Toshiba Satellite M645-S4080 Media Controller v.184.108.40.206 driver,Best Way to Download NVidia GeForce 6100 VGA Driver v.304.51 Certified,How Can You Update & Download NVidia GeForce 9300/nForce 730i VGA Driver v.310.19 Certified,Method to Download NVidia GeForce GT 330M Driver v.340.65,How Can I Update & Download NVidia GeForce GTX 590 Driver v.280.26 WHQL,Method to Download NVidia Tesla C2050 Driver v.319.17
Read More: Fast Solution to Problem: Browsing Issues with Internet Explorer,Troubleshooting:C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\INETCPL.CPL IS NOT A WIN 32 APPLICATION.,Troubleshooting:BSOD with Bad_Pool_Error with message,How to Resolve - Boot up Issues- hangs up at the Welcome screen?,Solution to Problem: Bold specific text in string,All diagnostic tools give 0x800700C1, troubleshooting wizard can't continue,all files try to open with adobe,all icons on desktop have changed to Adobe icon and won't open,All functions of my outlook are working except it will not let me "REPLY" or start a "NEW" email,all f1-f12 shortcuts not work