bootup problems w. external harddrive connected
I am running 64-bit Windows 7 - I have a 1TB external hard drive connected via USB for backup and photo storage. If I leave the external hard drive connected, shutdown is very slow and when I turn on the computer it does not boot up - it does not get
past the HP setup screen. If I disconnect the external harddrive and then turn on the computer, it boots up OK. I am able to plug in the harddrive and work with it after it has booted up. How can I rectify this problem?
Keys to the Problem bootup problems w. external harddrive connected
A usb drive is not designed to remain connected on shut down or boot, it can in certain circumstances cause files to become corrupted.
Use the safely remove to disconnect the external, disconnect & power it off once removed, then shutdown the PC
Once the PC has booted reconnect it
- Access the files on your computer via MY COMPUTER
- Under the C: drive, access the WINDOWS folder
- Select the SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION folder, followed by the DOWNLOAD folder.
- Delete any files within this download folder.
- If you are unable to delete these files, open the command prompt (CMD) as the administrator, and type "net stop wuauserv" into the CMD prompt window. Press ENTER. This should allow you to delete the files from step 4.
- Once the files are deleted, open and run the CMD as the administrator and type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow". Press ENTER.
Another Safe way to Fix the Problem: bootup problems w. external harddrive connected:
How to Fix bootup problems w. external harddrive connected with SmartPCFixer?
1. Download SmartPCFixer . Install it on your computer. Click Scan, and it will perform a scan for your computer. The junk files will be shown in the list.
2. After the scan is done, you can see the errors and problems need to be fixed. Click Fix All.
3. When the Fixing part is done, your computer has been speeded up and the errors have been fixed
Related: How to Download Toshiba Portege R500 HDD/SSD Alert Utility v.184.108.40.206 driver,Way to Update & Download Toshiba Satellite A355-S69403 Motorola Modem Region Select Utility v.220.127.116.11 driver,Where to Download Toshiba Satellite L305-S5926 HW Setup Utility v.2.00.11 driver,[Solved] Download Toshiba Satellite L675-S7115 Laptop Checkup v.18.104.22.168 driver,Method to Download Toshiba Satellite M645-S4080 Media Controller v.22.214.171.124 driver,Best Way to Download NVidia GeForce 6100 VGA Driver v.304.51 Certified,How Can You Update & Download NVidia GeForce 9300/nForce 730i VGA Driver v.310.19 Certified,Method to Download NVidia GeForce GT 330M Driver v.340.65,How Can I Update & Download NVidia GeForce GTX 590 Driver v.280.26 WHQL,Method to Download NVidia Tesla C2050 Driver v.319.17
Read More: [Anwsered] BSODS in ntoskrnl.exe+153fa0,[Solution] browser window,How to Fix Error - Bottom line of picture border does not always show up.?,How Can I Fix - Booting from, installing to, recovering -onto- external hard disk?,How to Fix Problem - Bluetooth No Longer Working After Update to Windows 8.1?,All diagnostic tools give 0x800700C1, troubleshooting wizard can't continue,all files try to open with adobe,all icons on desktop have changed to Adobe icon and won't open,All functions of my outlook are working except it will not let me "REPLY" or start a "NEW" email,all f1-f12 shortcuts not work